STORM WATER PETRO-BARRIER™ Hydrocarbon filter for high retention drainage
Oil separator catridge, built-in, long-life
The STORM WATER PETRO-BARRIER™ is a system for filtering large volumes of rainwater contaminated with dielectric oils for large transformer retention tanks and pits. Thanks to its self-locking system, it traps harmful hydrocarbons and thus prevents soil pollution. Its oleophilic and hydrophobic polymer component permanently traps hydrocarbons.
The STORM WATER PETRO-BARRIER™ is a system specially invented by SPI® in the 1990s for easy adaptation to all types of retention tanks and pits. It provides continuous filtration of drainage water for large volumes, while trapping harmful hydrocarbons: it therefore prevents soil pollution in accordance with EN 858-1 and the Water Act, with a discharge rate of less than 5ppm. It also complies with paragraph 471 of NF C13-200 (“All precautions must be taken to ensure that the recovery tank does not fill with water or that water is evacuated“). Our filters are regularly tested in independent laboratories, when new, in half-life conditions and after their recommended period of use (see Additional Information tab).
In the event of a major hydrocarbon spill, the component reacts and forms a plug, preventing any fluid from spilling into the environment. It is a self-locking system, operating without any mechanical parts or electrical connections.
The advantage of STORM WATER over other SPI® products is its design, which includes an integrated by-pass valve: in the event of heavy rain or clogging by sludge, you can access the drain by simply releasing the by-pass valve, thus freeing the fluid, to quickly access the submerged area or the filter clogged by impurities. Caution: do not perform this manoeuvre if there is oil on the surface or if the water is iridescent! Finally, when you use the STORM WATER PETRO BARRIER™ at the outlet of a type 1 or 2 hydrocarbon separator, you can be sure that if the coalescing filter fails, your rainwaters will be treated a second time in complete safety.
The STORM WATER PETRO BARRIER™ has two separate chambers: one for fluid intake in the upper section, and the other for active filtration in the lower section provided by a water filter cartridge with anti-hydrocarbons, dielectric oils, natural or synthetic esters.
Pre-filtration of the inlet water is vital to avoid blocking the STORM WATER PETRO BARRIER too frequently with dust. This is achieved by 2 internal pre-filters (not included): the first for coarse particles; the second for fine particles. Stainless steel or aluminium mesh is supplied to hold the pre-filters in place.
Description of the STORM WATER PETRO-BARRIER™:
- Aluminium frame design, cylindrical or rectangular format
- Hydrophobic, oleophilic polymer component: permanently locks in hydrocarbons
- Supplied with SS fasteners, silicone seal, aluminium mounting frame with SS threaded inserts
- Recommended change (*): every 5 years
(*) Depending on the conditions of use at each site, depending on the quantity of traces of hydrocarbons filtered by the cartridge, the regularity of maintenance of the tank/pit/prefilters, etc. Conditions of use for which SANERGRID® and SPI® cannot make any commitment.
SPI filters have been recognised for over 30 years for their high reliability, extreme robustness and longevity, even under the most difficult conditions: resistance to hot transformer oils (>100°C), water emulsified with dielectric oil, high resistance to ultra-violet rays and thermal amplitudes, eco-designed to reduce the quantity of materials and CO2 during the manufacturing process.
Accessories and options
The STORM WATER PETRO BARRIER™ is available in several sizes, corresponding to different outlet flow rates.
The STORM WATER PETRO BARRIER™ range is available in several filter and prefilter references to equip the filter cartridge the PETRO-BARRIER™:
- Active cartridge: SB-242420
- Internal coarse particle pre-filter: SB-DF-2424
- Small-particle internal pre-filter: SB-SF-2424
- Top gratings: CAILL-2424
Contact us for more information.
|Conditions of use||
Dielectric oils, Hydrocarbons, mineral oils, natural esters, synthetic esters
Use and maintenance
All industrial equipment or storage units containing hydrocarbons must be fitted with retention tanks.
- Vertical installation according to manufacturer’s recommendations.
- The internal and external pre-filters are simply screwed on and off through the opening in the top cover of the STORM WATER PETRO BARRIER.
Installation in the pit
All retention surfaces must slope towards the area where the STORM WATER PETRO BARRIER™ is installed for proper drainage of rainwaters. The installer must prepare the area as specified and provide drainage holes for the barriers.
Installation at the outlet of a remote pit or baffle block
STORM WATER is inserted into a concrete or fibreglass manhole.
- The design of the STORM WATER PETRO BARRIER™ has been studied and optimised for over 30 years to facilitate maintenance and replacement operations. In particular, it is fitted with two flanges which, when installed, allow it to be removed and provide easy access to the various chambers of the PETRO BARRIER™ for cleaning, replacing the active cartridge or servicing.
- SPI filters are sensitive to sludge and impurities carried by the water, which can considerably reduce the flow rate or even block the filter. Good pre-filtration is therefore essential to protect the filter inlet, and should be checked regularly. The pre-filter should be washed with clean water as often as required by the place of use, the frequency of rinsing depending on the quantity of impurities carried to each drainage point.
- To keep track of your filters and replacement schedules, SPI products have a batch serial number corresponding to the batch of active ingredient tested and approved by the manufacturer. So you too can track your filters and recommended replacement dates simply by visual inspection.
- At the end of their life, the filter and pre-filter should be disposed of as conventional hydrocarbon waste under code [150202*].
For your specific needs in terms of traceability and automatic reminders of your maintenance dates, SANERGRID® can set up a unit tracking system for you in return for a maintenance contract with one of our national partners.
The STORM WATER PETRO-BARRIER™ range, part of the SPI® filter technology, is the European benchmark for small-volume hydrocarbon-contaminated rainwater filter cartridges. It is the only filter on the market that has been validated for over 30 years by the largest French and European industrial companies (EDF, ENEDIS, SNCF, SCHNEIDER, RTE, ABB HITACHI, SIEMENS, IBERDROLA, NATURGY, REE, EDP, ENEL, IREN, TERNA, E-ON, RWE, VATTENFALL, ELIA, ESB, SCOTTISH POWER, NATIONAL GRID, NETWORK RAIL, UK PN, BRITISH PETROLEUM, TOTAL ENERGIE, BASF, BAYER, ELES, CERN, ITER, VOLVO, DEUTSCHE BAHN, ADIF, SNCB, REPSOL, etc… non-exhaustive list).
Rainwater drainage and hydrocarbon pollution: thanks to the SPI anti hydrocarbons filter system, the tank is empty of water most of the time and ready to receive hydrocarbons. In compliance with water legislation, the water discharged from the tanks is not contaminated with more than 5 ppm of hydrocarbons, in accordance with standard EN 858-1 (“light liquid separation installations”).
SPI® filters are regularly tested by independent laboratories: SANERGRID Bureau Veritas report COFRAC I.D. certified: 003606/2776443/1/1/1 in 2015 (France), SPI Phoenix I.D. laboratory reports: AR67044 from 2002, 2004, 2005, 2009, 2018, 2022 (USA), TÜV report Nr 2432974 in 2016 (Germany), NUA report -Z-11895-1/1-2016.