PETRO-PIPE PI-616-M2 Hydrocarbons filter for medium retention drainage
Oil separator cartridge, screw-in, long duration
The SPI®‘s PETRO-PIPE PI616-M2 is a screw-in cartridge for filtering hydrocarbon-contaminated rainwater from medium-sized transformer retention tanks and pits, for permanent use. Its self-locking system traps harmful particles, preventing soil pollution. Its oleophilic and hydrophobic polymer component permanently traps hydrocarbons.
SANERGRID‘s PETRO-PIPE PI616-M2 is a cartridge specially invented by SPI® in the 1990s for easy adaptation to all types of bunds and retention pits. It provides continuous filtration of drainage water, while trapping harmful dielectric oils as well as hydrocarbons such as petrol, diesel, fuel jets, etc.: it thus prevents soil pollution in compliance with standard EN 858-1 and the Water Act, with a discharge rate of less than 5ppm. It also complies with paragraph 471 of NF C13-200 (“All precautions must be taken to ensure that the recovery tank does not fill with water or that water is evacuated“). Our filters are regularly tested in independent laboratories, when new, in half-life conditions and after their recommended period of use (see Additional Information tab).
In the event of a major hydrocarbon spill, the component reacts and forms a plug, preventing any fluid from spilling into the environment. It is a self-locking system, operating without any mechanical parts or electrical connections.
Description of the PETRO PIPE® PI-616-M2:
- Made from reinforced rigid PVC with UV protection for extra strength and durability.
- Hydrophobic, oleophilic polymer component: permanently locks in dielectric oils and petrol or diesel hydrocarbons. Consult the PI-616-FR3 and PI-620-SYNBLOC ranges for natural or synthetic esters.
- Length: 45 cm / Diameter: 15 cm / Weight: 5 kg
- Approximate flow rate filtered (*): 16 L/min / Approximate saturation (*): 3 to 5 L / Recommended to change (*): every 3 to 5 years
(*) Depending on the conditions of use at each site, depending on the quantity of traces of hydrocarbons filtered by the cartridge, the regularity of maintenance of the tank/pit/prefilters, etc. Conditions of use for which SANERGRID® and SPI® cannot make any commitment.
For over 30 years, SPI filters have been recognized for their high reliability, extreme robustness and longevity, even under the most difficult conditions: resistance to hot transformer oils (>100°C), water emulsified with dielectric oil, high resistance to ultra-violet rays and thermal amplitudes, etc. SPI has ISO 9001 quality certification for its production process, and has integrated an eco-design approach aimed at reducing the amount of material and CO2 used during the manufacturing process.
Accessories and options
The PETRO-PIPE® range is the only range on the market that offers all the references depending on the use and type of pollutant: hydrocarbons, synthetic and natural esters or oils, etc. The choice of cartridge format also depends on the flow rate.
- PETRO PIPE PI616-FR3 for natural esters
- PETRO PIPE PI620-SYNBLOC for synthetic esters
- PIFH-616 for mineral oils with filters to be embedded in concrete
- PIF for replacement of PIFH embedded in concrete manholes
- 2-inch valves and 2-inch elbows
- External pre-filtration cages: PFB 810, 1012 or 1224 ranges
PETRO PIPE pre-filtration :
Pre-filtration is essential to limit the risk of clogging the P-PIPE cartridge due to dust in the water. Because it is used for permanent installations and large volumes of water treated, the PETRO PIPE range has 2 pre-filtration systems:
- Internal pre-filtration: All PETRO PIPE PI-616 and PI-620 are fitted with internal pre-filtration foam that is easy to clean and interchange: you don’t have to change cartridges systematically and simply clean the pre-filters. As a result, you reduce waste volumes and avoid having to replace your filter cartridges too often.
- SPI is the inventor of the external pre-filtration grid systems or PFB™ (ref. PFB-0810, PFB-1012, PFB-1224 ), developed in the 90s, which allow you to change only the active cartridge without having to change the whole system: only the filter cartridge needs to be changed when it is saturated, you can change the internal and external pre-filters. Quick and easy to access, this system of pre-filtration grids also reduces the need to maintain the internal pre-filters.
PFB™ internal pre-filtration foams are cleanable and refillable on site.
Thanks to these two SPI innovations, you can reduce the amount of waste generated by more than 50% for an equivalent maintenance scope.
The standard SANERGRID SPI® PETRO PIPE is the PI-616-M2 for hydrocarbons with a single carbon chain (e.g. mineral oils), i.e. a 2″ male threaded head filter inlet. Other semi-standard male (4” and 6”) and female (2”-4”-6”) configurations are available. For special threads or special substances, contact us.
|Dimensions||45 × 15 cm|
|Conditions of use||
Hydrocarbons, synthetic esters
Use and maintenance
- The filter is screwed onto the 2″ or DN50 gas threaded female valve outlet provided for this purpose (to be paid for by the customer or purchased with the equipment). The use of Teflon or sealant on the screw threads is recommended to ensure that the connections are completely watertight.
- The filter should be positioned at a slight angle of between 0° and 25°, ideally 25°, in the direction of flow to ensure optimum flow and life cycle of the PETRO PIPE.
- An upstream valve is recommended to consign your retention volume before filter maintenance in a simple and safe way. For higher flow rates a set of filters in parallel, on a clarinet or SKID PIPE™4, 6 or 12 can be fitted.
- A PFB-0810 or PFB-1012 or PFB-1224 pre-filtration cage for PETRO-PIPE® can be installed (as an option) upstream of the filter in the retention tank to remove impurities from the water and prevent the filter from clogging up too quickly. The PFB pre-filtration cage is always installed in the retention tank at the point where the water enters the filter.
- SPI filters are sensitive to sludge and impurities carried by the water, which can considerably reduce the flow rate or even block the filter. Good pre-filtration is therefore essential to protect the filter inlet, and must be checked regularly.
- The internal foams of PETRO PIPEs and those of the pre-filtration cage should be washed with clean water as often as required by the site of use. The frequency of rinsing depends on the quantity of impurities brought to each drainage point, and therefore on each industrial site.
- To keep track of your filters and replacement schedules, SPI products have a batch serial number corresponding to the batch of active ingredient tested and approved by the manufacturer. So you too can track your filters and recommended replacement dates simply by visual inspection.
- At the end of their life, the filter and pre-filter should be disposed of as conventional hydrocarbon waste under code [150202*].
For your specific needs in terms of traceability and automatic reminders of your maintenance dates, SANERGRID® can set up a unit tracking system for you, in return for a maintenance contract with one of our national partners.
SPI is the world leader in the filtration of rainwater polluted with transformer oils by gravity, with a manufacturing plant and quality control process certified to ISO9001.
As part of the SPI® filter technology, the PETRO-PIPE® range is the European benchmark for filtration cartridges for small-volume retention of hydrocarbon-contaminated rainwater. It is the only filter on the market that has been validated for over 30 years by the largest French and European industrial companies (EDF, ENEDIS, SNCF, SCHNEIDER, RTE, ABB HITACHI, SIEMENS, IBERDROLA, NATURGY, REE, EDP, ENEL, IREN, TERNA, E-ON, RWE, VATTENFALL, ELIA, ESB, SCOTTISH POWER, NATIONAL GRID, NETWORK RAIL, UK PN, BRITISH PETROLEUM, TOTAL ENERGIE, BASF, BAYER, ELES, CERN, ITER, VOLVO, DEUTSCHE BAHN, ADIF, SNCB, REPSOL, etc… non-exhaustive list).
Rainwater drainage and hydrocarbon pollution: thanks to the SPI anti-hydrocarbon water filter system, the tank is empty of water most of the time and ready to receive hydrocarbons. In compliance with water legislation, the water discharged from the tanks is not contaminated with more than 5 ppm of hydrocarbons, in accordance with standard EN 858-1 (“light liquid separation installations”).
SPI® filters PETRO PIPE are regularly tested by independent laboratories: SANERGRID Bureau Veritas report COFRAC I.D. certified: 003606/2776443/1/1/1 in 2015 (France), SPI Phoenix I.D. laboratory reports: AR67044 from 2002, 2004, 2005, 2009, 2018, 2022 (USA), TÜV report Nr 2432974 in 2016 (Germany), NUA report -Z-11895-1/1-2016.
You may also like…
Kit PETRO-PIT® 410 Complete hydrocarbon filtration system0,00 €
PETRO-PLUG Hydrocarbon filter for drainage of pipelines0,00 €
PETRO-PIT 416 Hydrocarbons filter for small retention drainage0,00 €
PFB Pre-filtration box for PETRO PIPE® cartridge0,00 €
PETRO-PIT 416-FR3 Natural esters filter for small retention drainage0,00 €